Tuesday 10 December 2013

Wasps

My Sum total knowledge about wasps was that they make nest from the mud which have multiple compartments, one for each offspring with some food inside. Many years ago wasp nests were commonly seen in/outside house, but dont remember when I saw the last one. I saw below structure on a tree few days back and thought it was a wasp nest. It looked very beautiful, different from nests in the home I knew. Wikipedia tells me its potter wasp nest. Wonder what's the purpose of the opening at the top.

Potter Wasp nest
unfortunately, it wasn't there next day, probably some predator noticed it?

Actually, I wanted to share a recent Wasp shot and started writing this and in process learn few things about Wasps like their variety go well beyond the mud nest building wasps and there are others who build colonies from paper like material, some control plant tissue growth to form gall that serve as nest and yet some more don't bother of building nest but deposit eggs on a host whom they parasitizes. Given they pray/parasitizes pests, wasps are also considered important in agriculture pest control.

Wasp working on initial stages of colony

Wasp working on initial stages of colony
Had noticed above but individuals there appeared not doing much and construction stage remained much the same for many days till one day post effect of Phailin bought winds and rain which I think this budding colony didnt survive.

Dont know which insects have caused this Gall, but both gall and below very very small insects that appear to me like gall wasps were seen.

GallGall 
UntitledGall Wasp?
Black variety was seen only once or twice but the other was seen quite frequently. it was incredibly small and looked amazing as it kept flapping its wings while remaining stationary. I must have spent countless time trying to photograph them, but never imagined they could be wasps! (as applicable generally, pls do correct me, if I am wrong and they are something else.)

Some more easy to recongnise wasps.
WaspWasp
Wasp

Couple of shots which are less about Wasps themselves and more about their expressions.

Bugs
Withdrawing

I started this post saying there was a recent Wasp shot to share. Here it is.
Wasp
WaspWasp


No comments:

Post a Comment