Sunday 22 December 2013

Where have all birds gone?

Birds - that are supposed be my main subjects are ironically absent from my posts. I keep saying I photograph birds primarily and keep posting everything else out here. While my diversions to macro world may surely have played a role in why I dont see many birds, but I think even otherwise, migratory birds are not seen this season. even early flycatchers and warblers seem to have gone away.
As if sympathizing with me, some local birds tried to pose for a shot or two.

Purple Sunbird
Purple Sunbird
Red Whiskered Bulbul
cattle egret
cattle egret

Best of them was this Indian Robin Male. Though now I have photographed him and family few times, they had maintained their shy state so long in past that now every time I am able to get a shot, I am thrilled. and on this particular occasion he sat there just 15-20 feet away and allowed me pointing camera to him.
Indian Robin
Indian Robin
Indian Robin

okay, not that there wasn't ANY migratory bird. but even a single sighting is enough to say that. Saw a black winged cuckoo-shrike once (last year was the first time I saw them here) but couldn't manage a shot and other than that, there are couple of most usual ones. Such a stark contrast to last December that had brought unusual number of first ever sightings with it. I wonder if its weather. This December is unusually pleasant so far and cold weather which is usual here but makes surviving more or less the only activity while it lasts for a more tropical being like me hasn't yet set in- or probably its not as much to do with temperature itself but wind pattern which also affects temperature? I should google and try to find out.

Chiffchaff enjoying the Sun
Chiffchaff
as you might have guessed, its a perch I like to photograph with any bird on it. okay, wish those distracting bamboos were there, but still fine.

and this immature white wagtail. They are usually found in very good numbers and here too, that was the case. They were happily calling and playing along the mustard plants that have started flowering.
White wagtail
Camera is a great tool to capture what you want as it offers option to capture only what you want. and to the camera, flowering mustard plants currently offer good opportunities to capture beautiful patches of surroundings. here it is with a background slope covered with coral vine and other plants. If I haven't missed the coral vine at its peak flowering, this should get better when the slope turns mostly dark pink.
Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment