Saturday 18 January 2014

An encounter with a globally local bird

Few days back, I got to know that there was one amazingly beautiful white round faced owl sitting on ground in golden Sunlight and it wasn't even shy of people - sat there even as few people looked on from a road nearby. I was expected to pick up the camera and run. I instead declared it wont go anywhere (I hadn't seen any such owl so far and had no wish to miss it still..) and only next day headed to search for it - to a place different from where it was seen day before. My wishful thinking suggested it should move from full public view to some place free from humans. (I had no idea if owl wanted to avoid public or not, but I surely did..) and, I walked straight to Owl on a shorted possible path. of course, with due help of local birds after I selected right general direction. 

Eastern grass owl
It was sitting just some three feet above ground and view was highly obstructed. Not to mention that low light had replaced golden sunlight. I was still happy to see that the owl's ideas matched mine and it selected same place to be as I selected to search for it. I even congratulated myself that its not that I just call birds friends, we can actually understand each other too.

What I missed in my initial excitement is that friendship is a mutifaceted concept. and, It doesnt have much scope of either politeness or formality. What do you do if a friend comes visiting when its time to rest and relax for you?

Eastern grass owl

Eastern grass owl

Eastern grass owl

okay, sight is not what they use primarily and can even hunt by sound so closed eyes are no proof that I was ignored completely but it still did appear to me relaxed and half in sleep for most part. As I look up Barn owl in wikipedia, it tells me its one of the most widespread species in the world, a local bird across the globe. How cut off from nature we usually are that I see it now for the first time ever.

He went off next day and even if he had to stay longer, I may have never been able to see that amazingly beautiful round face - for from what I have known from seeing two owls so far is that more unsure of environment are, rounder and innocent their face looks so that face of first few minutes or hours is what you never see again. Reminds me of last year's encounter with another owl - on seeing him I had wished so strongly that he goes away and this year he has been most missed bird by a huge margin.
Last year's encounters - here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment