Saturday 25 January 2014

Some shots around Gaillardia flowers

My first camera was a mobile camera and when I bought it, I was still long way from fully discovering that my happiness varies directly with my closeness to nature. I used that mobile camera as someone having no appreciation of either photography or nature uses but anyways among those initial pictures, flowers turned out one of the main subjects. My interest in flowers have gone through few iterations since then. To start with ANY flower anywhere was interesting - and mostly what I saw were city flowers -those decorative ones. with time, I started preferring those in more natural setting and later developed more appreciation of seasonal flowering of trees but didn't fully lose attraction to decorative, human managed flowers till recently.
Off late though with macro range introducing me to those beautiful weed flowers and thereby making more sensitive to natural flora around me overall, I also started asking - which flower is that? I haven't managed Identifying more than small numbers yet but it kind of signaled start of proper interest in flowers/plants. and then, managed, decorative plants suddenly started looking.. very artificial, unnatural, something that I should ignore completely.

Then my view changed again very recently. credit goes to my time spent around Gaillardia flowers few weeks back. I will come back to reasoning a bit later but let me first share few shots of and in/around the flowers. 

life in and around Gaillardia
Gaillardia


life in and around Gaillardia
Common Silverline

Untitled
Indian common shot silverline
I saw this different looking silverline on the flower other day. its first time I saw it - somewhat bigger than common silverlines (or at least the silverlines commonly seen here). its just fitting in the minimum magnification I get with my reverse macro set-up. it also behaved differently to common silverline - it sat and sat there, had no effect on me taking shots from macro range except that after a while it noticed me, must have thought I was a big flower and tried landing on my head that I politely resisted. looks like Indian common shot silverline.
On one of the sunny day, I was looking for some insects and noticed this very small spider.
Untitled Untitled
Initially, the spider itself appeared very small to me but as my sense of scale got normalised wrt to spider, I noticed lots of movement just under the feet of spider. I feared fate of whatever was moving there but soon suspected I wasn't seeing full picture. a little more time and it looked like those somethings - transparent ants were actually pretty safe. for spider and they existed at almost non overlapping depths.

I had seen these ants before too but I think below are probably best shots I managed so far.

UntitledUntitled
I think you can never be happy too long while working with macro range. Sure enough as I managed to take ant shot, much smaller aphids were around as next challenge. (Aphids: Sap sucking insects - I tried to read wiki page -couldn't understand much but in short they sound like bad things from certain perspective and are one of the successful life forms) I thought they were ant nymph initially. Unlike most ants and aphids I had seen before, ants, either those in above shots or other bigger black ones weren't interacting with these creatures. two in below shots look different kinds.

UntitledUntitled
Did I give impression that aphids were small enough? well, how about below shot? they were nothing more than white dots to unaided eye. an aphid exoskeleton? One flower had large number of them. probably syncronised shedding of exoskeleton.
Untitled
There were others too enjoying their existence on the flowers. below individual for an example. this pollen bathed hairy thing was doing some slow form of dance. it kept swinging from side to side while keeping its legs firmly attached to surface. also walked around slowly and just as I termed it a slow walking creature, it flew away.. I sure remember it flying away but dont see any wings on him leaving me unsure of its flight ability.
Untitled
and this tiny spider. It initially reciprocated my interest in him but later got going with his business. Evaluating a jump to upper floor here.
Untitled
Caterpillars are something I don't usually manage to see and was happy to see this beautifully coloured individual. Colours not only matched that of flower, it also looked so much like one of the fallen leaflets from tree above that were everywhere. see photos below.  
Untitled Untitled Untitled
Plus if you recall, there were some shots in and around these flowers in previous post of insect shots.
I found these flowers so interesting that spent nearly two weeks only around them. They again changed my view that non native, human planted decorative flowers are only showpieces. These plants appeared to feel completely at home and well accepted by others too. so like before, I again may find myself clicking all kinds of flowers native or decorative so far as they appear happy with rest of nature around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment