Saturday 22 March 2014

Are you looking?

Around a year back, as I got interested in small subjects, apart from excitement of seeing so many new things, I was also relieved that it saved me from inevitable void I must have faced had I stood outside my home holding a 400mm lens. After all, if you have been watching attentively two-three-four seasons passing by, its natural that surprises die down ultimately..  Indeed, I didn't see many interesting surprises suitable for 400mm as I spent most of last year holding 18-55mm, reversed. (well, those 'not many' sightings still total to 9 brand new species and some in-flight and other shots I quite like..) However two days back, like on those old days, I picked up 400mm.

I was scanning trees without having anything in mind what I am looking for. and.. was that a bright flash of red? What I saw was very high, very small, but there was no scope of doubt. then, I was caught in that sentiment I thought I had overcome to large extent. An almost guaranteed to be only sighting of some very attractive species makes me nervous. and, I usually end up with below average shots with almost shaky hands and nervous mind. ok, so I recognise that I am caught in non helping state of mind, but before I even react to that red bird, notice a flash of yellow, slightly nearer. I point the camera to yellow bird, it poses for me, and yes, as expected, I couldn't get the bird in focus. Long tailed Minivet female didn't give that nice pose again.

Pair stayed high above, difficult to get clear view, but still, I did get few shots, in focus at least :-). Not very far from hundred percent crops below cant be match for actually seeing that magical flame red, still, some shots below. It was simply amazing in real life.

Long tailed Minivet (Pericrocotus ethologus)Long tailed Minivet (Pericrocotus ethologus)

Uncropped frames looked like below.
Minivet
Female at times came few feet closer.
Long tailed Minivet (Pericrocotus ethologus)Long tailed Minivet (Pericrocotus ethologus)
They appeared to be feeding mostly on large larva rather than catching flying insects.

After they were gone, I continued my bird watching and this Common Hawk Cuckoo came from behind and sat in front of me. It copies Shikra's look and is often feared by other birds like one.
Common Hawk cuckoo
Yesterday, I saw for the first time Shikra hovering high in the sky like Kites. Got some shots too. This season I think its first time I understood why its called Shikra. (from Shikari- the Hunter). 
ShikraShikra
So, I rarely saw 400mm shots in last year as I held macro lens in my hand and yet non everyday sightings were there with what looked like disproportionate probability when I walked out with 400mm. I remembered something from long back. I was around 11 or so. Don't remember how - if I heard someone or if that question was created by my mind, but most likely former, that the world exists only when you are looking. Probably its one of those thoughts/teaser that every child thinks about. I remember thinking about it and reaching to conclusion that 1) It may not be possible to prove that argument incorrect 2) I still 'knew' world existed even when I wasn't looking.
Switching between Macro and 400mm lenses have taught me something else. Existence of things may not be dependent on if I am looking at them, but even when things exist in front of me, to see them I need to be looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment