Saturday 10 May 2014

Summer update - One

I remembered reading about a concept called neural inertia – how brain resists shifting between conscious and unconscious states. Remembered it now as it looks like my mind is experiencing some kind of inertia – it had wandered to broader human world due to general election and attempts to bring it back to immediate world of flora and fauna existing around me had been proving unsuccessful. I was immersed in words on computer screen and ever growing chorus of birds that 40+ degree of temperature usually brings with it was still being filtered out as irrelevant noise by brain. Some powerful pull to change my focus was needed and that probably could have been done only by one of the birds around. Common Myna – yes, they are common but no one can beat them in power, sweetness, continuous enthusiasm – specially in this season. so, I did find myself looking through view finder finally. One member each from two pairs was locked in fight and other member was yet to decide if it should start fight or watch one that was going on. After last year, I now know not to worry about them as they fight – they not only don’t harm each other, after 2 – 3 days, they will be best friends again. yet, after few seconds of watching the battle that had turned completely one sided, I couldn't stop doing what I do always. Scolded and separated them and came back. If I had taken shots, they would have been indistinguishable from those taken last year. When it comes to breeding season fights however, most notable (and probably not well explained too) fight I have seen till date was also last year, that of Female Magpie Robins. (link deliberately is of mobile site - normal flickr is becoming more and more user unfriendly and difficult to understand - I see that mobile site at least is somewhat like original flickr where you can see photo, description and comments.)

So its Summer now. Gulmohar are not too short of its peak glory, Golden shower flowers however are showing somewhat hesitant start. Monitor Lizard is back in the backyard, Oriole’s super sweet and loud calls are difficult to ignore – even when you are reading election news, but male Koel so far isn't even calling regularly leave alone calling at frequency where you think of filing a PIL against them, and female Koel hasn't made debut in backyard yet which looks strange. Barbet, Asian pied starling, Magpie Robin, White throated kingfisher, both bulbuls, treepie, drongo, and only today morning, chestnut tailed starlings have returned while one of the most notable absentee is Hornbill – with which I had started my first summer series two years back. That was both the worst and best Summer I have been through so far. Best because of what I found outside my window, and worst because of what brought so many birds there – limitless heat. If you have joined me at blogger and haven’t been through that old series, you may want to have a look at it here

I think I just heard female Koel outside briefly and.. its only a day and half before final round of polling begins..

No comments:

Post a Comment