Saturday 14 September 2013

Common Sailor pair dance

Post Paradise flycatcher sighting I have restarted my morning walks with camera. While birds are nowhere yet as expected, butterflies have started showing up in good numbers. Yesterday among them, I noticed a common sailor, sailing. No, there were two. Initially I thought one was chasing away the other but after a while it become apparent that they were dancing around each other. Pair oscillated in all three directions as well with respect to each other with typical butterfly flight pattern and soon I realised there was no point in hoping for a photo while they were in flight. I kept watching them expecting to take a shot once they stopped and perched somewhere. but they went on and on and on and on... and somewhere down the line, I forgot that I wanted to take a shot and just started enjoying the live performance of two involved dancers for whom nothing other than dancing with his/her partner mattered. 

As I was walking away after some 10-15 mins of watching the show, I realised what separated an enjoyable experience from a frustrating one. What I had just found so enjoyable could have been really frustrating with just one difference. If my focus was getting a Shot. but with the 'Want' removed, it was all just fun.

While I enjoyed the performance, though I no longer was focused on wanting the shot, did press shutter while keeping the camera pre-focused somewhere in the range they oscillated. and I actually got them in half a dozon frames (out of some 100+ shots). with two best shots as below. I am quite pleased with the second one. 

Common Sailor (Neptis hylas)
Common Sailor (Neptis hylas)

Today morning, I thought the Common sailor was a yesterday story. but to my surprise, as I reach same place, the pair is still dancing. Did they dance all the day? or was it this particular time of the day? Anyhow, I noticed an obvious thing. their co-ordination had improved drastically. their movement was much more smooth and graceful around each other. I dont know why (if there is a why in first place) they worked towards achieving that perfection, but I would guess they enjoyed it.

Below is a small video. first eight seconds is yesterday's dance, later its today's. quality of the video is absolutely bad. frame, focus, small size/quality to keep file size small (around 700kb) but i think it gives fair idea of pair's movement.



Before I end, this small moth that is commonly seen. Dont know its ID.

No comments:

Post a Comment