Tuesday 3 September 2013

Leafhoppers, Weevils

I started encountering these tiny bugs as I started my macro experiments but they are very near to smallest subjects I can photograph with my photography technique - only natural light, always handheld and I usually dont show much patience, be it a bird or a bug. so didn't manage a usable shot for long. (ok, once I did get a white nymph with two bright red parasitic bugs on it, each one nearly 20 percent or more of the size of host. I initially thought the nymph must be dead but it started moving after few minutes. I managed few shots, not good picture quality but knew that it was a rare sighting. I however deleted the captures as it was very painful to see the shots.)

I finally managed to take a shot of below individual and then looked up on Google for ID. These are called leafhoppers and guess what, like every new type of insect I find these days, there are some few thousand of species of them. btw, the creature somewhat looks like a fish, isnt it? Actually, I would guess your answer is it doesnt look like a fish. for, no one seem to think it does. As I tried to search for ID, had no clue how to find it and thinking that many others would have thought it looks like a fish, asked google about a tiny insect that looks like a fish - with no luck. Disappointed and clueless, after a while remembered google has image search too. (and wondered why I dont use it more often). and.. as I upload a tight crop of below shot, google came up with 'similar looking photos'. All the results were of fish :-(.

One in the second shot is a nymph of leafhopper I think.


Leafhopper


Leafhopper Nymph


























Talking about small subjects, I find I enjoy shooting weevils. Dont see them in abundance but when find one, it usually poses well.






No comments:

Post a Comment