Monday 30 September 2013

My Struggles to win attention of owlets

There was a pair in a tree I passed by and they made so much noise for so long that I had to walk back. but then, seeing me, one of them flew away and this individual was left kind of confused. All it understood was to move away from where it was (it flew from a well hidden position inside leaves and perched on here) and try to locate the reason why other flew away. Now, I am standing below focusing on him, expecting him to turn his head towards camera and he is searching in all the directions including in the sky except where I was. after thoroughly searching all other directions, at last, it looked in my direction.

Spotted Owlet (Athene brama)
Above owlet however, was still making an effort and therefore not very disappointing given my even worse track record with Owlets. for example, below individual had made it quite difficult to take a shot. He had seen me coming and had already gave a glance to find me utterly non interesting subject. Now, I was standing below him, positioning myself carefully between two dogs so as not to disturb their sleep, keeping him in the frame and he kept looking away from the camera. After some waiting, I finally whispered to him, 'pls give a look'. he didn't listen but a dog made a movement to make me feel guilty of disturbing him. so I had to wait until the Owlet looked at the camera on its own. btw, after taking the shot and moving on, I noticed he was too close and I hadn't zoomed out so he was too tight in the frame. for below shot, had to repeat the whole waiting process.

At other times, they give pose where I feel like clarifying that it wasn't due to boredom of my company but the heat why it was yawning.


Actually first two shots apart, I usually find being ignored quite flattering. It says that I am accepted and trusted as non harming part of their environment. Like in the below one. He is sitting on a small sweet-neem tree (curry tree), hardly 5 ft above the ground on this branch, and trying to find some prey on ground below. only, the ground is perfectly clean. there isn't anything at all, leave alone possible pray. After exhausting all possible directions only, he spared some attention for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment